Associations in the Greco-Roman World (AGRW)

An expanding collection of inscriptions, papyri, and other sources in translation

[234] Dedication of a Temple of Herakles by Oil-dealers (ca. 100 BCE) Delos - Southwestern islands


Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map)
AGRW 234 = IDelos 1713 = PHI 64153  = ID# 1635

 ca. 100 BCE

bibliography            

Base of white marble (68 x 42 x 32 cm). Found in the port and then brought to the Delos Museum (inv. Ε 582).

The oil-dealers (elaiopōlai) dedicated the temple and the statue of Herakles.  Those appointed to supervise the construction were Zenon and Theon–both sons of Hermon and both from Elea, Publius Plotius Patron, Posidippos son of Titus from Herakleia, Eirenaios son of Zoilos from Azotos, Sporius Arius son of Decimus from Rome, . . . and Menekles son of Pankratos. . .   This was dedicated to Herakles and Hermes.

Written/translated by: Harland



[ἐλαι]οπῶλαι, οἳ τὸν ναὸν, | καὶ τὸν Ἡρακλῆ ἀνέθηκαν | καθεσταμένων ἐπὶ τὴν | κατασκευὴν Ζήνωνος || καὶ Θέωνος τῶν Ἕρμω|ν̣ος Ἐλεατῶν, καὶ Ποπλί|ου Πλωτίου Πάτρωνος, | καὶ Ποσιδίππου τοῦ Τίτου Ἡρα|κλείου, καὶ Εἰρηναίου τοῦ Ζω||ίλου Ἀζωτίου, καὶ Σπορίου | Ἀρίου τοῦ Δέκμου Ῥωμαίου | Ρ . ΙΑ . .II. Μενε|κλέους τοῦ Παγκράτου | vac. Ι vac. Υ vac. || Ἡρακλεῖ καὶ Ἑρμεῖ.

Item added: January 24, 2012
Item modified: January 8, 2016
ID number: 1635
Short link address:
http://www.philipharland.com/greco-roman-associations/?p=1635

Leave a Question, Comment or Correction

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*