Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map), 124/123 BCE
= PHI 64088
= AGRW ID# 21113
Part of a base of white marble (78 x 59 cm x 50 cm). Found north of the monument of Theophrastos. In the Delos Museum in 1937 (inv. Ε 35). These groups may be temporary formations for the purpose of providing honors, rather than ongoing associations with clear organizations. However, we do know that immigrants (esp. Romans), merchants, and shippers did regularly form more permanent associations on Delos and elsewhere, so this is also a possibility with some of these groups here.
The Athenian settlers (hoi katoikountes) in Delos, the resident (hoi parepidēmountes) Romans, and the merchants (emporoi) and shippers (nauklēroi) set this up for Thrasippos son of Kallios from Gargettos subdivision, who served as overseer of the market in the year when Nikion and Isigenes were civic leaders (archons), on account of his virtue and righteousness. This was dedicated to Apollo.
Ammonios and Perigenes, sons of Zopyros, made this.
Translation by: Harland
Θράσιππον Κα̣[λ]λ̣ίου Γαργήττιον | ἀγορανομήσαντα ἐν τῶ[ι] ἐπὶ Νικίου | [κ]αὶ Ἰσιγένου ἄρχοντος ἐνιαυτῶι, | [Ἀ]θηναίων οἱ κατοικοῦντες ἐν Δήλω[ι] || [κα]ὶ Ῥωμαί[ω]ν οἱ παρεπιδημοῦντες | [κα]ὶ οἱ ἔμποροι καὶ οἱ ναύκληροι ἀ[ρ]ε̣τῆς | [ἕ]νε[κ]εν καὶ δικαιοσύνης | [Ἀ]πόλλωνι. | [Ἀμ]μώνιος καὶ Περιγένης οἱ Ζωπύρου ἐποί[ησαν].
Item added: January 4, 2016
Item modified: February 19, 2016
ID number: 21113
Short link address: