Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map), 118/117 BCE
= T. Homolle, "Dédicaces déliennes," BCH 3 (1879) 360–381, at 370-372 (no. 12)
= PHI 64091
= AGRW ID# 21140
Part of a base of blue marble (76 x 62 x 42 cm). Found just west of the temple of Apollo (inv. Ε 150). Displayed near the building to the north of the presidents' building (Prytaneion) in 1937. These groups may be temporary formations for the purpose of providing honors, rather than ongoing associations with clear organizations. However, we do know that immigrants (esp. Romans), merchants, and shippers did regularly form more permanent associations on Delos and elsewhere, so this is also a possibility with some of these groups here.
The Athenian, Roman, and other foreign settlers (katoikountes) and residents (parepidēmountes) . . . on Delos and the merchants (emporoi) (?) . . . and shippers (nauklēroi) set this up for Xenon son of Asklepiades from Phyle subdivision, who was supervisor of Delos, . . . on account of his virtue (?) . . . and righteousness.
Translation by: Harland
Ξένωνα Ἀσκληπιάδου Φυλάσιο[ν], | ἐπιμελητὴν Δήλου γενόμενον, | Ἀθηναίων καὶ Ῥωμαίων καὶ τῶν | [ἄλλω]ν ξένων οἱ κατοικο[ῦν]τ̣ε̣ς̣ || [καὶ π]α̣[ρ]επιδη̣μοῦντες [ἐν Δήλωι] | [καὶ οἱ ἔμπο]ρο[ι κ]αὶ οἱ ναύ[κληροι], | [ἀρετῆς ἕνεκ]εν καὶ δ̣[ικαιοσύνης] | [ἀνέ]θηκαν̣.
Item added: January 5, 2016
Item modified: January 5, 2016
ID number: 21140
Short link address: