Associations in the Greco-Roman World (AGRW)

An expanding collection of inscriptions, papyri, and other sources in translation (run by Philip A. Harland)

Dedication of a Temple to the Demeter Karpophoros by a Priest (120 CE) Ephesos - Ionia

Ephesos (Ionia, Asia Minor — Pleiades map), 120 CE
IEph 1210 = PHI 248551 = AGRW ID# 8322


Base of white marble, probably for a statue, found near the marble hall on harbour street (73 x 36 x 35 cm; letter height: 1.75 cm). Rutilius Bassos also appears in IEph 1233, 1486, 2038, 3217. The association of Demetriasts that were devoted to the same deity at Ephesos (see IEph 213, 4337) may have made use of this temple.

This was dedicated to Demeter Karpophoros (“Fruit-Bringer”) and the most sweet homeland by Publius Rutilius Bassos, her priest, when his father, Rutilius Bassos, was secretary.  He built the temple (naos) of Demeter and the area in front of the temple from his own resources.

Translation by: Harland

Δήμητρι Καρποφό|ρῳ καὶ τῇ γλυκυτάτῃ | πατρίδι | Πό(πλιος) Ῥουτείλιος Βᾶσσος || Ἰουνιανὸς ὁ ἱερεὺς | αὐτῆς, γραμματεύ|οντος τοῦ πατρὸς | Ῥουτειλίου Βάσσου, | τὸν τῆς Δήμητρος || ναὸν ἐκ τῶν ἰδίων {ε} | ἐποίησεν καὶ τὰ πρὸ τοῦ | ναοῦ.

Item added: December 20, 2012
Item modified: December 7, 2015
ID number: 8322
Short link address:

Leave a Question, Comment or Correction

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *