Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map), ca. 96/95 BCE
AGRW 234 =
= PHI 64154
= AGRW ID# 21258
Copenhagen Inventory info: 905
Base of white marble (70 x 23 x 30 cm). Found in 1908 in a modern house to northeast of the Agora of Theophrastos (inv. Ε 322).
The oil-dealers (elaiopōlai) also dedicated the statue of Herakles after building the temple, restoring the two doors, and setting up the base for Herakles. This was done when Aropos son of Leon was supervisor and . . . Name son of Agathokles and Ariston son of Name . . . were in charge of the sacred rites. This was dedicated to Herakles and Hermes.
Translation by: Harland
[ἐλαιοπῶ]λαι, οἳ καὶ τὸν Ἡρακλῆ, ἀναθέ[ντες] | [τὸν ν]α̣ὸν καὶ τὰς θύρας τὸ δεύτερο̣ν [ἐπι]|[σ]κευάσαντες, ἀναθέντες δὲ κ[αὶ τὴν] | β̣άσιν τοῦ Ἡρακλέους, ἐπὶ ἐπιμελητο̣ῦ̣ [Ἀρό]||που τοῦ Λέοντος καὶ τῶν ἐπὶ τὰ ἱερὰ Α [— —] | τοῦ Ἀγαθοκλέους καὶ Ἀρίστωνος το[ῦ — — —]κλέους, vac. Ἡρ[ακ]λεῖ καὶ Ἑ̣ρμεῖ.
Item added: January 8, 2016
Item modified: December 18, 2020
ID number: 21258
Short link address: