Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map), after 166 BCE
= PHI 64102
= AGRW ID# 21182
Part of a base of white marble (92 x 60 x 54 cm). Found in 1882 east of the agora of Theophrastos. These groups may be temporary formations for the purpose of providing honors, rather than ongoing associations with clear organizations. However, we do know that immigrants (esp. Romans), merchants, and shippers did regularly form more permanent associations on Delos and elsewhere, so this is also a possibility with some of these groups here.
The Roman, Athenian, and other Greek settlers (katoikountes) on Delos and the merchants (emporoi) and shippers (nauklēroi) who sail to the island set this up for Zenon son of Zenon of Marathon subdivision because of his virtue and righteousness. This was dedicated to Apollo.
Translation by: Harland
Ζήνωνα Ζήνωνος Μαραθώνιον, | ἐπιμελητὴν Δήλου γενόμε|νον, Ῥωμαίων καὶ Ἀθηναίων καὶ | τῶν ἄλλων Ἑλλήνων οἱ κατοι||κοῦντες ἐν Δήλωι καὶ ἔμποροι | καὶ ναύκληροι οἱ καταπλέοντες | εἰς τὴν νῆσον, ἀρετῆς ἕνεκεν | καὶ δικαιοσύνης Ἀπόλλωνι.
Item added: January 5, 2016
Item modified: January 5, 2016
ID number: 21182
Short link address: