Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map), 126/125 BCE
= PHI 64084
= ID# 21104
Large white marble base found north of the marketplace (21 x 116 x 82 cm). In the Delos Museum in 1937 (inv. Ε 1). These groups may be temporary formations for the purpose of providing honors, rather than ongoing associations with clear organizations. However, we do know that immigrants (esp. Romans), merchants, and shippers did regularly form more permanent associations on Delos and elsewhere, so this is also a possibility with some of these groups here.
The Athenian settlers (katoikountes) on Delos, the merchants (emporoi) and shippers (nauklēroi), the Romans, and the other foreigners (xenoi) who are residents (hoi pareidēmountes) set this up for Theophrastos son of Herakleitos from Acharnai subdivision, who was supervisor of Delos and has furnished the marketplace (agora) and reinforced (?) the banks of the harbor, on account of his virtue, goodness, and benefaction towards them.
Translation by: Harland
Θεόφραστον [Ἡρ]α̣[κ]λ[είτου Ἀχαρν]έα, ἐπιμελητὴν Δήλου γενόμενον | καὶ κατασκευάσαντα τὴν ἀγορὰν καὶ τὰ χώματα περιβαλόντα τῶι λιμένι, | Ἀθηναίων οἱ κατοικοῦντες ἐν Δήλωι καὶ οἱ ἔμποροι καὶ οἱ ναύκληροι | καὶ Ῥωμαίων καὶ τῶν ἄλλων ξένων οἱ παρεπιδημοῦντες, ἀρετῆς || ἕνεκεν καὶ καλοκἀγαθίας καὶ τῆς εἰς ἑαυ[το]ὺς εὐεργεσίας ἀνέθηκαν.
Item added: January 4, 2016
Item modified: January 5, 2016
ID number: 21104
Short link address: