Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map), 124/123 BCE
= PHI 64087
= AGRW ID# 21111
Part of a base of white marble (85 x 55 x 30 cm). Found in 1907. In the Delos Museum in 1937 (inv. Ε 36). These groups may be temporary formations for the purpose of providing honors, rather than ongoing associations with clear organizations. However, we do know that immigrants (esp. Romans), merchants, and shippers did regularly form more permanent associations on Delos and elsewhere, so this is also a possibility with some of these groups here.
The Athenian settlers (hoi katoikountes) in Delos, the resident (hoi parepidēmountes) Romans, and the merchants (emporoi) and shippers (nauklēroi) set this up for Kalliphon son of Sokrates from Pambotidai subdivision, who served as overseer of the market in the year when Nikion and Isigenes were civic leaders (archons), on account of his virtue and righteousness. This was dedicated to Apollo.
Ammonios and Perigenes, sons of Zopyros, made this.
Translation by: Harland
[Κ]αλλιφῶντα Σωκράτου Παμβωτάδην | ἀγορανομήσαντα | ἐν τῶι ἐπὶ Νικίου καὶ Ἰσιγένου | ἄρχοντος ἐνιαυτῶι, || Ἀθηναίων οἱ κατοικοῦντες ἐν Δήλω[ι] | καὶ Ῥωμαίων οἱ παρεπιδημοῦντες | καὶ οἱ ἔμποροι καὶ ναύκληροι, | ἀρετῆς ἕνεκεν καὶ δικαιοσύνης | Ἀπόλλωνι. || [Ἀ]μμώνιος καὶ Περιγένης οἱ Ζωπύρου ἐποίησαν.
Item added: January 4, 2016
Item modified: February 19, 2016
ID number: 21111
Short link address: