Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map), 124/123 BCE
= PHI 64089
= AGRW ID# 21126
Part of a cylindrical base of white marble (78 x 59 cm x 50 cm). Found several metres north of the building of l'École Française. In the Delos Museum in 1937 (inv. Ε 595). These groups may be temporary formations for the purpose of providing honors, rather than ongoing associations with clear organizations. However, we do know that immigrants (esp. Romans), merchants, and shippers did regularly form more permanent associations on Delos and elsewhere, so this is also a possibility with some of these groups here.
The Athenian, Roman, and other foreign settlers (katoikountes) and residents (parepidēmountes) on Delos set this up for . . . Karaichos (?) (or: Kallistratos [?]) . . . from Halai subdivision, who was supervisor of Delos, on account of his virtue, righteousness, and piety towards the gods. This was dedicated to Apollo.
Translation by: Harland
Κ[— — —]ς Ἁλαιέα, ἐπιμελητὴν | Δήλου γενόμενον, Ἀθηναίων καὶ Ῥωμαίων | καὶ τῶν ἄλλων ξένων οἱ κατοικοῦντες καὶ | παρεπιδημοῦντες ἐν Δήλωι, ἀρετῆς || ἕνεκεν καὶ δικαιοσύνης καὶ τῆς πρὸς τοὺς | θεοὺς εὐσεβείας ἀνέθηκαν | Ἀπόλλωνι.
Item added: January 5, 2016
Item modified: February 19, 2016
ID number: 21126
Short link address: