Associations in the Greco-Roman World (AGRW)

An expanding collection of inscriptions, papyri, and other sources in translation (run by Philip A. Harland)

Dedication of a Temple and Statues by Italian Hermaists (57/56 BCE) Delos - Southwestern islands


Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map), 57/56 BCE
IDelos 1737 = IDelosChoix 164 = PHI 64177  = ID# 21365


bibliography            

Base of white marble (28.5 x 63 x 23 cm). Found in 1907 in the northern part of the Agora of Theophrastos.

(Latin) When L. Calpurnius Piso son of Lucius was proconsul.  (Greek) During the proconsulship of Lucius Calpurnius Piso, son of Lucius, the Hermes-devotees (Hermaistai) dedicated the temple (naos) and the statues (agalmata) to Hermes.

Translation by: Harland



L. Cal[pu]ṛṇio L. f. | Pisone proco[s]. | [ἐ]πὶ [ἀ]νθυπάτου Λ[ευκίου] | Καλπορνίου τοῦ Λ[ευκίου] || [Πε]ίσωνος, οἱ Ἑρμαισταὶ τὸν ναὸ[ν] | [κ]α̣ὶ̣ τὰ ἀγάλματα vac. Ἑρμε[ῖ].

Item added: January 9, 2016
Item modified: January 9, 2016
ID number: 21365
Short link address:
http://www.philipharland.com/greco-roman-associations/?p=21365

Leave a Question, Comment or Correction

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*