Anazarbos area [Flaviopolis] (Cilicia, Asia Minor — Pleiades map)
GRA 153 =
Hicks, "Inscriptions from Eastern Cilicia," JHS 11 (1890) 236 (no. 1)
= Waltzing, no. 99
= PHI 285684
= ID# 3322
Mosaic inscription. According to Hicks, the stone was probably used in the floor of a church. It was found in a tiled pavement in a cottage with the inscription in the centre. Modern Kadirli or (formerly) Kars–Bazaar on the river Pyramos, was located about 25 km northeast of Anazarbos in eastern Cilicia and may be identified with ancient Flaviopolis / Flavias. The dimensions of the monument were not recorded.
For the deliverance of the worthless guild (synergion) of fullers, accept, O Lord, this measure of our fruitfulness from your useless slaves and grant us forgiveness of sins for our souls and (10) a good defence.
Written/translated by: Kloppenborg
ὑπὲρ σωτηρίας τοῦ εὐ|τελοῦς συνεργίου τῶν | γναφέων τὴν μετρίαν | ἡμῶν ταύτην καρποφο||ρίαν δέχου, δέσπο|τα, παρὰ τῶν ἀχρίων σ|οῦ δούλων, παρέχω|ν ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν | ταῖς ἡμετέραις ψυχαῖς || καὶ καλὴν ἀπολογίαν.
Item added: September 21, 2012
Item modified: January 22, 2016
ID number: 3322
Short link address: