Associations in the Greco-Roman World (AGRW)

An expanding collection of inscriptions, papyri, and other sources in translation (run by Philip A. Harland)

Dedication of a Clock and Altar by Competaliasts (after 125 BCE) Delos - Southwestern islands


Delos (Southwestern islands, Aegean Islands — Pleiades map), after 125 BCE
IDelos 1770 = PHI 64210  = ID# 21521


bibliography            

Part of a base of white marble (41 x 24 x 15 cm). Found in 1907 in a recent wall to the north of the Agora of Theophrastos (inv. Ε 573).

. . . (missing lines) . . ., who were Competaliasts (Competaliastai), set this up and consecrated it to Zeus Eleutherios (“Deliverer”) and Dionysos.  They set up the temple (naos [?]), the clock and the altar. . .

Translation by: Harland



{divide in stone, joining an inscription part way through} [κο]μπεταλια[σταὶ γενό]|[μ]ενοι Δία Ἐλ[ευθέριον καὶ] | [Δι]όνυσον ἀν[έθηκαν] | καὶ καθειέρωσ[αν, οἳ τὸν] || [να]ὸν? καὶ τὸ ὡρ[ολόγιον] | καὶ τὸν βωμόν. | vac. | ΓΟ̣Ν̣Λ

Item added: January 15, 2016
Item modified: February 19, 2016
ID number: 21521
Short link address:
http://www.philipharland.com/greco-roman-associations/?p=21521

Leave a Question, Comment or Correction

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*