Associations in the Greco-Roman World (AGRW)

An expanding collection of inscriptions, papyri, and other sources in translation (run by Philip A. Harland)

[147] Dedication of a Statue of Council Personified by Dyers (100-150 CE) Hierapolis - Phrygia


Hierapolis (Phrygia, Asia Minor — Pleiades map), ca. 100-150 CE
AGRW 147 = SEG 41 (1991), no. 1201 = PHI 273100 = AGRW ID# 839


bibliography            

Large base of marble found in the theater

The guild (technē) of dyers (bapheis) dedicated this to the Council, and Glykonianos Menandros son of Glykon, Gaius Julius Lucius Crescens of the Fabian tribe, Gaius Baevius Glykon II, and Antiochos son of Zosimos were responsible to setting it up.

Translation by: Harland



τὴν βουλὴν | ἡ τέχνη τῶν βαφέων | [ἐπι]μεληθέντων [τῆς ἀ]|ναστάσεως Γλυκωνιανοῦ Μενάνδρο[υ] || τοῦ Γλύκωνος, | Γαίου Ἰουλίου Λουκίου Φαβία | Κρήσκεντος, | Γαίου Βαιβίου Γλύκωνος β, Ἀντι[ό]|χου τοῦ Ζωσίμου.

Item added: December 1, 2011
Item modified: December 4, 2015
ID number: 839
Short link address:
http://www.philipharland.com/greco-roman-associations/?p=839

Leave a Question, Comment or Correction

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*