Welcome to the companion site to Associations in the Greco-Roman World: A Sourcebook (= AGRW) and Greco-Roman Associations: Texts, Translations, and Commentary (= GRA).
What’s new? (updated March 23, 2015)
- Use tools in the right sidebar to browse or search a growing online database of inscriptions and papyri about associations, guilds, immigrant groups, and initiates engaged in mysteries (including many documents that do not appear in the book – click “new inscriptions” under selected exhibits)
- View a complete list of documents (1285 so far)
- View featured items:
- Remembering a donkey-driver (Macedonia)
- A Judean family manumits a house-bred slave (Southern Russia)
- Surgical contests by physicians (Turkey)
- Soadu saves a merchant caravan from “great danger” (Syria)
- An interest-free loan from the association (Egypt)
- “Not yet having tasted youth, I slipped into the realm of Hades” (Italy)
- View an extensive bibliography on ancient associations
- View latest additions and news
- View list of contributors or find out how to contribute photos or translations
“Indispensable. A splendid resource for students at several levels, not merely in religious studies, but for anyone exploring the society and culture of the Hellenistic and Roman worlds.”
—Wayne A. Meeks, Yale University.
The accessible AGRW sourcebook (English-only) is a valuable resource for studying social and religious history and is ideal as a course text. The multi-volume Greco-Roman Associations (GRA) is an in-depth scholarly resource with original Greek or Latin texts and extensive commentaries.